Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Omission finally reaches Jacksonville


I've been waiting and waiting, and now Omission Beer has finally made it to Jacksonville.
Thanks to a tip from Ed Stansel, co-author of the Times-Union's Amber Waves column, I found that Omission was on sale at Broudy's in Jacksonville Beach.
Unlike other gluten-free beers, Omission Beer is made from traditional beer ingredients, including malted barley.
The brewer, Widmer Brothers of Portland, Ore., claims it has a proprietary process that removes the gluten. The company says every batch of beer is tested and that it meets the proposed FDA standard that something can be labeled gluten free if it has less than 20 parts per million of gluten.
Interestingly enough, Omission says nothing on its label about gluten. The Omission website says it can't legally claim that the beer is gluten free until the FDA standards are approved.
Anyway, the beer comes in two varieties, lager and pale ale. I bought the pale ale.
Omission's selling point is that, because it is made from traditional ingredients, it tastes more like regular beer than other gluten-free beers.
I did enjoy my pale ale but frankly, it's been two years since I've had a regular beer and I think I've really forgotten what that tastes like. So I can't tell you how it compares with regular beer.
I can compare it with other gluten-free beers. I really don't think it was any different than New Planet's pale ale.
Still, it's nice to have more gluten-free options out there. I'll have to try Omission's lager.

No comments:

Post a Comment