Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A gluten-free Super Bowl

That was a great Super Bowl, and not just because the Giants won. It was also great because I was able to enjoy it with wings and beer.
Last year, as a newly diagnosed celiac, I had no where to go because there were very few places that served gluten-free beer and I couldn't find any place that served gluten-free chicken wings.
But I was able to spend this year's Super Bowl at Time Out Sports Grill, which has Redbridge beer and also has a few gluten-free offerings on the menu, including chicken wings and french fries.
I do take some credit for Time Out's gluten-free menu because I was the first one who first brought it up with them about a year ago. But I give all the credit to manager Claudia Starus who took an interest in gluten-free possibilities and ran with it. She put a separate gluten-free fryer in the kitchen to handle wings and french fries. And she also added a few other items, like flatbreads with a gluten-free crust.
I don't know of any other sports bar in Jacksonville serving gluten-free wings. But with the growth in gluten-free menu items in restaurants over the past year, hopefully we'll have even more choices next year...when the Giants repeat!

2 comments:

  1. New to your blog, but I can tell I'm going to find it helpful. What other area bars/restaurants have you found Redbridge or other gluten-free beers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, for just a bar, Engine 15 in Jacksonville Beach offers at least a couple of gluten-free brands. Then there's Mellow Mushroom, which has gluten-free pizza and at least one gluten-free beer brand, depending on which location you visit. European Street Cafe also has at least one gluten-free brand in each location, and also has sandwiches on gluten-free bread.
    Those are a few of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete