Friday, August 30, 2013

Is Trader Joe's a good gluten-free spot?

It seems like a lot of people are getting excited about the prospect of Trader Joe's opening in Jacksonville Beach. You would think that a specialty grocer like this would have a good selection of gluten-free products.

But based on my limited experience, I'm skeptical.

In case you missed it, the Times-Union today has a front page story about Trader Joe's opening a store this fall at the Beach. I should point out that the story is highly speculative and while it seems likely, the store is not yet a certainty.

My only experience with Trader Joe's has been in Chicago. There is a Trader Joe's near the hotel I often stay at in Chicago. On my two most recent trips there, I've visited the store hoping, at the very least, to find something gluten free I could eat for a quick breakfast.

However, I was very disappointed at the gluten-free selections. I actually found a better selection of gluten-free options at a nearby Jewel-Osco store, which is a typical neighborhood supermarket.

Because of that, my initial reaction to Trader Joe's is, so what?

However, I coincidentally found a blog post yesterday about a Trader Joe's brand gluten-free pizza. This sounded very enticing.

So, I'll reserve judgment until the store actually opens. If it it actually opens.

No comments:

Post a Comment