Wednesday, September 28, 2011

My gluten-free story

I was diagnosed with celiac disease in December 2010. As all of you know, the only treatment for celiac, an autoimmune disorder that attacks the small intestine, is a gluten-free diet. That basically means avoiding any food that contains wheat, rye or barley.
Of course, I immediately starting researching gluten-free foods and found an overwhelming amount of information available. But I was able to use my skills as a career journalist to sort through the information and find what was accurate and reliable. I realized there was an opportunity to share what I've learned with others in the same boat.
So, I started a blog called The Gluten-free Glutton at jacksonville.com which focused on information about restaurants and food stores in the Jacksonville area that offered gluten-free products.
I received a lot of positive feedback from other celiacs who found my blog posts timely and useful. But unfortunately, I recently left my position at jacksonville.com and the blog was discontinued. But I have no intention of discontinuing my efforts to inform the Jacksonville community about gluten-free dining options. So today I'm launching this new blog to continue the work I started several months ago.
You can still find my previous gluten-free blog posts here. And hopefully, I'll have much more to add on this blog in the coming weeks and months.

No comments:

Post a Comment