Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Cheesecake Factory gluten-free burger pricey, but good

I went back to the Cheesecake Factory to try out the burger on its new gluten-free menu. I'm glad I did. This might have been the best hamburger I've had since I've had to go gluten free.

The waitress made a comment to me about how good the buns were so I asked where they got the gluten-free buns. She went to check and came back and told me they are from Udi's, which was a surprise. These seemed much better than the Udi's buns we can buy in the supermarket.

Cheesecake Factory is now the second place in Jacksonville that I know of where you can get a gluten-free burger, with bun, and french fries. The other is Epik Burger.

I want to support the local restaurant versus the chain but I have to say I prefer the Cheesecake Factory's burger. Actually, I really like the chicken sandwiches at Epik Burger so that's what I always get there. And at Epik Burger, I love the gluten-free onion rings, which are the only gluten-free onion rings in town that I know of.

Of course, it probably won't surprise you that the Cheesecake Factory burger experience was pricey. The burger and fries were $10.95, but they really get you with the $2.95 soda, which brought the total with tax to $14.88, plus tip.

At that price, I won't be going often, but it's nice to know it's there.

To review, if you didn't see my previous post on the Cheesecake Factory, it has a very impressive eight-page gluten-free menu that also includes a number of pasta dishes.

On the downside, the menu says it doesn't have a separate preparation space in the kitchen, so there is a risk of cross-contamination. But from my conversation with the waitress, I did get the impression that they are aware of allergy concerns and do the best they can.

No comments:

Post a Comment