Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Happy Celiac Awareness Month

May is Celiac Awareness Month. It makes me wish I still had a column in the Times-Union to promote celiac awareness to a wider audience, but then again with the Times-Union's dwindling readership, maybe it doesn't matter.

Anyway, it's been six years since I began writing about and promoting celiac awareness, and I'd like to think the world is more aware. People still make fun of the gluten-free diet, but it's been a long time since I've had to read about celebrities going gluten free for no apparent reason. So maybe we're making progress.

As we all know, the only treatment for celiac disease is a strict gluten-free diet. Advocacy group Beyond Celiac is using this month to promote the work being done to provide a cure beyond the gluten-free diet. There are people who think we will see a cure within the next decade. I hope they're right.

No comments:

Post a Comment