Saturday, October 8, 2011

An honest response to gluten questions

I really hate companies that give vague responses to questions about gluten in their products. So kudos to Dannon yogurt for its honesty.
I've spent the last few days in a hotel that offers free breakfast and one of the offerings is Dannon yogurt. I didn't eat yogurt in the past so I've never given much thought to yogurt and gluten. But since so much of the hotel breakfast spread is off limits, I figured I should check out Dannon, because I thought it might be gluten free.
But here's what you'll find on the company's web site:
"Dannon yogurt products are not formulated to contain gluten, but they can't be considered gluten free. The natural system for stabilizing flavor might contain ingredients derived from gluten sources. Since there is a current lack of consensus on individual sensitivity levels to gluten, and there are no accurate tests to detect the presence and amount of gluten, Dannon yogurt cannot be classified as gluten free."
So we can't eat it. But I do appreciate the honesty.

No comments:

Post a Comment