Sunday, May 19, 2013

Some people still need celiac awareness

I was pretty optimistic in my recent Times-Union column about Celiac Awareness Month, saying that the word seems to be getting out. But I was reminded yesterday that not everybody got the memo.

I went with some friends to have a drink at Ragtime in Atlantic Beach. I was pretty sure there wouldn't be any gluten-free beer but I figured they would likely have Woodchuck or some other kind of cider.

So I asked the bartender if they had any gluten-free beer (no), and then if they had Woodchuck or some other cider (no). Then he rattled off a list of beers that they did have.

I explained no, I was looking for a gluten-free beer or cider. He got annoyed with me and listed off the beers again and said "I'm telling you what we have." He clearly had no idea what I was asking.

This is the first time in a long time that I got that kind of attitude from a restaurant server. Ragtime used to be a popular restaurant -- maybe it still is -- so I can't believe I'm the first customer to ever inquire about gluten-free beer there. Their food menu doesn't appear to be gluten-free friendly and that's fine, I don't have to eat there. But I really expect restaurant workers, especially at a place that aspires to be an upper-end restaurant,  to understand when we ask about gluten-free stuff.

I guess we still do need Celiac Awareness month.

No comments:

Post a Comment