Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Schar deli bread good, but pricey

I've always liked Schar's products, particularly their par-baked rolls, which are some of the best gluten-free rolls I've tried.

So I was intrigued when I saw another Schar product in Native Sun, which it calls "deli-style bread." It looks really good in the package, like big slices of rye bread, which is something I really miss. The label says you can eat this bread right out of the package, without toasting.

But here's the problem. There are only 5 slices in the package, and I think the price was $5.76. We're used to paying ridiculously high prices, but this seems over the top. And why 5 slices? I mean, they couldn't put an even number in there? Or are we supposed to make a sandwich with one slice of bread?

Anyway, the deli-style bread has been on sale at Native Sun for $3.99 this month, which is still pricey for 5 slices of bread. But at that price, I decided to try it.

I bought some Boar's Head pastrami to see if this could make me feel normal again, like I was eating and old-fashioned pastrami-on-rye.

The verdict? Yes it made for a pretty good sandwich. It didn't taste like rye bread, but it had a good flavor and it held up well.

Is it good enough to keep buying at these prices? Well, once in a while. But it's not something I can afford to buy every day. That's pretty much the same as all of Schar's products. I like them, but I'll go broke if I keep buying them.


No comments:

Post a Comment