Wednesday, July 8, 2015

More gluten-free adventures at Trader Joe's

Okay, if you haven't been following my recent quest at Trader Joe's, let me summarize: first I go and find gluten-free bagels, but no hamburger buns. Then I go and find gluten-free hamburger buns, but no bagels.

So this week, I go and find: no buns or bagels.

Trader Joe's introduced its gluten-free breads in April and I keep talking about it because I do like their hamburger buns and bagels, which are very reasonably priced -- at least compared with other gluten-free products. Unfortunately, you can't rely on finding them when you actually visit Trader Joe's.

This time, I decided to ask the check-out clerk and she actually seemed to know the full story. She said the demand for the new gluten-free products was greater than Trader Joe's expected, so its supplier has been unable to keep up with demand. She said they are hoping to resolve the issue soon and have a steady supply of the new gluten-free products.

Oh well, wait and see.

Meanwhile, I decided to try Trader Joe's soft corn tortillas, which are gluten free. Since going gluten-free, I've been unable to find any soft tortillas to use at home. They always crumble in your hands.

Sure enough, Trader Joe's gluten-free tortillas were just as bad as all the others. At least they were priced right, at $1.49 for a pack of 12.

Someday, someone will figure out how to make a gluten-free tortilla. And Trader Joe's will find a way to have its gluten-free products readily available.

No comments:

Post a Comment