Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Another try at Feel Good Foods' Chinese dumplings

I've written several times about my longing for Chinese dumplings and my inability to find them gluten free. The only gluten-free dumplings I've been able to find anywhere in Jacksonville are a frozen variety made by a company called Feel Good Foods (which I've only been able to find in Earth Fare)

That would seem to solve my problem, but I've been disappointed because they never seem to come out right when I cook them, as I've been writing.

Well, Feel Good Foods found my recent Times-Union column when I brought this up and sent me a couple of coupons for a free box of dumplings, asking me to try again with their new, simpler microwavable cooking instructions.

When I first bought these dumplings, the only cooking instructions were for pan frying, which ended up being way too complicated for a non-cook like me (I really did try hard).

I actually had tried the new microwavable dumplings a couple of months ago and still wasn't satisfied. However, when Feel Good Foods offered me the opportunity to try again (for free), of course I took them up on it.

So I was determined to follow the instructions to the letter, which consisted of putting the dumplings in a microwave-safe bowl with a half-cup of water and covering them with a damp paper towel. For some reason, I've always found the "damp paper towel" to be challenging, like I can't seem to get the right amount of dampness. I really am that bad in the kitchen.

But, I think I got it right this time and I have to say, the dumplings were better. They weren't as good as they could be if I pan fried them (and the package does include instructions for pan frying), but they were worth trying.

I probably should say, they weren't as good as they could be if a real cook pan fried them. I wouldn't even presume to try. But I'll bet if you have cooking skills, you could probably do well with these dumplings.

No comments:

Post a Comment