Monday, April 30, 2012

About.com posts gluten-free reader's choice results


Here's something to peruse to kill time on a Monday morning (let's face it, it's hard to start working on a Monday). About.com's celiac disease website recently published the results of a survey of readers on their favorite gluten-free products and restaurants:

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/ReadersChoiceAwards/tp/About-Com-2012-Readers-Choice-Awards.htm

It's nice to see that all the restaurants on the list have outlets in Jacksonville. But it still boggles my mind that Carrabba's always ends up on these lists of gluten-free favorties. How can you enjoy an Italian restaurant that doesn't offer gluten-free pasta? If I'm going to an Italian restaurant, I expect pasta. I'll take Enza's in Mandarin, a local family-owned restaurant, as my choice for Italian food. And if I want to visit a chain, Maggiano's has gluten-free pasta. I won't set foot in Carrabba's until they make pasta part of the gluten-free menu.

One other note on pasta. My favorite gluten-free pasta brand, Heartland, didn't make the About.choice list. As I've said before, Heartland's spaghetti seems just the same as regular spaghetti. And it's available at Walmart stores at a reasonable price.

No comments:

Post a Comment