Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Gluten free at The Players Championship, and maybe at Jaguars games


Once again, you will be able to find some gluten-free concessions at The Players Championship golf tournament this week. And as far as Jaguars games go this fall...we'll see.
For at least the second year in a row, the Players Championship will have gluten-free bread available for sandwiches at some of its concession stands, according to Matt Rapp, executive director of the tournament. He did not know the exact locations and said not all of the stands will have the gluten-free bread, but it will be available. The stands also have garden salads available as a gluten-free option.
I met Rapp this morning at a Champions for Education breakfast at the TPC Sawgrass Clubhouse. Among the attendees of that breakfast was Jaguars owner Shahid Kahn, so I introduced myself and told him I wanted to put a bug in his ear about getting more gluten-free items at Jaguars games. They did have Redbridge beer last year, even if it was difficult to find, but I personally think it's about time they offer gluten-free hot dogs.
I got that same kind of blank look from Kahn that we often see from people who don't know anything about gluten-free food. I asked him if he had heard from any other fans asking about gluten-free items and he said no.
So I don't know if I made an impression on him or not. But also at the meeting was Bill Prescott, the Jaguars official who I started bugging last year about gluten-free food and who made sure that at least Redbridge beer was available. I told him I'd be bugging him again this year as we get closer to the season.
Let's hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment