Monday, May 7, 2012

Outback's Chocolate Thunder as good as it looks


It seems like when you look up the list of gluten-free restaurants in any city in America, Outback Steakhouse always shows up. The restaurant chain has a pretty good gluten-free menu with a number of steaks, as well as chicken and seafood dishes, on the menu.
But probably the most intriguing item on the menu is the gluten-free version of its Chocolate Thunder From Down Under dessert. It's described as a flourless brownie topped with vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce, chocolate shavings and whipped cream.
As good as it looks, I generally avoid desserts. But on my last visit to Outback, we got extremely slow service (long story), prompting me to complain. In response, the manager came over and offered a free Chocolate Thunder From Down Under. How could I refuse?
Bottom line: it was delicious. I felt sick afterward because I was already full before I started, but it was well worth it this one time. Maybe some other time if I starve myself all day, I can order one.
And let this be one more item debunking the myth that a gluten-free diet is a weight loss regimen.

No comments:

Post a Comment