Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Gluten-free goldfish!

For most of my life, my favorite snack was cheddar cheese Goldfish crackers. I know I was eating them for about 40 years because I remember feeding them to my dog when I was a kid (they seemed to be her favorite snack too).

Of course, that all ended when I went gluten free. Just another favorite food I missed.

So I was very excited a few days ago to read that Pepperidge Farm is producing a gluten-free variety of Goldfish!

The gluten-free Goldfish are actually called Goldfish Puffs and come in three flavors: mega cheese, cheddar bacon and buffalo wing.

At first I couldn't find them in stores but after reading a post about them on Facebook's celiac disease group, I learned that some people were buying them at Target. So I went to my local Target and did find them. I bought a bag of mega cheese Goldfish Puffs.

The verdict: they are, of course not the same as traditional Goldfish but compared with other gluten-free crackers, these are really good. I have a feeling I'm going to be eating a lot of these.

The back of the package says Goldfish Puffs are gluten free, but there is no indication that they are certified as gluten free. I did read concerns from some people about that in the Facebook group. As I've said before, I don't have the same gluten sensitivity as some other celiacs but if you are sensitive, I can't say for sure if I could recommend these. But I have no reason to think they are dangerous for celiacs either, other than the lack of certification. So you'll have to decide for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment