Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Yes, the Suns will have gluten-free hot dogs and beer

Okay, I've had some disappointments with gluten-free food and baseball this spring, but it's good to know that the Jacksonville Suns will have their gluten-free program back in place.

For the third year in a row, the Suns will have gluten-free hot dogs, as well as burgers, sausages and chicken sandwiches available. I know just the other day I expressed my disappointment in gluten-free hot dog buns and that isn't likely to change, but there's something about having a hot dog at the ballpark which takes the sting away from stale, crumbly buns.

The Suns will also have gluten-free beer available. Jamie Davis, the Suns' general manager for ballpark foods, told me that they will be carrying a different brand than Redbridge, but he wasn't sure exactly which brand it will be. Besides gluten-free beer, the Suns will also have Woodchuck cider available.

Again, the gluten-free items will only be available at the Sundowner Lounge, a bar inside the ballpark that is open to the public. I used to think limiting gluten-free items to one location was a bad thing but after my awful experience at a Jaguars game last year, I see the benefit of having a single gluten-free location. At least the people serving food there will know the difference between gluten-free and other items.

No comments:

Post a Comment