Wednesday, December 17, 2014

No Ragu sauces for me

I haven't bought any Ragu sauces for a long time, but I noticed yesterday that they were on sale at Winn-Dixie at a pretty good price, so I decided to check them out.

I looked at the labels to try and figure out if they were gluten free. Unfortunately, I saw a long list of ingredients but didn't see any allergen information.

So, when I got home, I found Ragu's website and looked to see if it had any information on which of its sauces are gluten free. To make a long story short, I found this:

"We do not publish a list of gluten-free flavors. Therefore, we suggest reading all ingredient labels carefully. As always, if you cannot determine whether the product contains the ingredient in question, we recommend that you don't use it."

Well, thank you Ragu. I guess I won't be buying any of your products.

It kind of reminded me of Kraft salad dressings. Just like Ragu, all it tells you on its website is you should read the (lengthy) ingredient list, with no guidance on whether any of its products are gluten free. So, I refuse to buy any Kraft sauces.

Meanwhile, Campbell's, maker of my preferred Prego sauces, publishes a list of its products that are gluten free. The latest list (updated in June) lists several variety of gluten-free Prego sauces. Interestingly enough, none of Campbell's soups are on that list.

Also, Barilla, which makes gluten-free pastas, also says that all of its pasta sauces are gluten free.

So there are plenty of choices for gluten-free pasta sauce. I wish all manufacturers could be so helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment