Monday, September 29, 2014

Biscottis now has fantastic gluten-free sandwiches and pizza

I recently learned that Biscottis in Avondale, along with sister restaurant BB's in San Marco, began offering gluten-free sandwiches and pizzas. So I contacted co-owner Barbara Bredehoeft, who invited me to visit Biscottis and try them out.

I'm glad I went.

Biscottis now has a full gluten-free menu which includes several sandwiches and pizzas, in addition to salads, soup and a couple of appetizers. Barbara said she wanted to create a gluten-free menu that looked just like any other menu, so people with gluten issues can enjoy a meal there.

I got a simple smoked turkey sandwich and I have to say, this may have been the best sandwich I had in four years. The sandwiches are made on sub rolls which are provided by food service vendor Cheney Brothers, meaning that these aren't rolls which we can buy ourselves. And that's unfortunate because I thought the roll was fantastic. I just loved the sandwich.

I also got the smoked chicken romesco pizza, which was also great. The only reason I'm not raving about the pizza as much as the sandwich is because I've found a number of great gluten-free pizzas recently. I can't remember ever having a sandwich this good since I started eating gluten free.

The only thing missing at Biscottis is gluten-free beers on the menu, but Barbara is working on it.

In the meantime, enjoy the sandwiches and pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment