Wednesday, September 24, 2014

U. of Chicago expects to find celiac cure

I received a copy of "The Complete Guide to Living Well Gluten-Free," a new book by Beth Hillson that really is a "complete guide."

There is a lot of information stuffed into this book on a wide range of topics, which I think would be an excellent resource for newbies on the gluten-free diet. But I also found some new information that piqued my interest.

Beth seems somewhat optimistic that current research will lead to a cure for celiac -- well maybe not an actual cure but at least a medical treatment that would allow us to eat normal foods.

The most interesting thing, which I didn't know, is that the University of Chicago's Celiac Disease Center has changed the URL of its website to www.cureceliacdisease.org.

Yes, one of the top celiac research centers in the country expects to cure it, and they've even set a target date: "we seek to cure celiac disease by 2026," the website says.

That sounds like a long way off, but it does make me more optimistic. And I'm hopeful the cure will come some time before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment