Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Aldi offers a strong selection of gluten-free products

I visited the new Aldi grocery store in St. Augustine yesterday and found an impressive assortment of gluten-free products, at very good prices.

Aldi has its own gluten-free brand called LiveGfree, and you can find these products all over the store. The gluten-free products include the standard stuff like pasta, frozen pizza and frozen chicken nuggets. But I also found a couple of products that are hard to find from other food manufacturers.

These included cans of gluten-free chicken noodle soup that I bought for $1.69 each. There is a brand of gluten-free chicken noodle soup from the company Gluten-Free Cafe that I've bought at Publix which was much more expensive, even when it was on sale.

The other unique products I saw were gluten-free stuffed sandwiches, including a pepperoni stuffed sandwich that looked like Hot Pockets. Since I was far from home in St. Augustine and didn't want to transport anything frozen, I didn't buy it, but it sure looked interesting.

Aldi also has LiveGfree brands of bread and sandwich wraps.

The only product I've actually tried so far was a package of crackers that looked kind of like Crunchmasters and basically tasted like a Crunchmasters cracker. But at $1.49 for a 4.25-ounce package, it was of course much cheaper.

The store is very sparse looking, intentionally so. For one thing, it doesn't offer any grocery bags -- you have to bring your own. But that's one reason the prices are so good.

The St. Augustine store is Aldi's first in the Jacksonville market and the company is talking about opening more stores in Northeast Florida. I hope they do open one closer to my home, because I really liked this store.

No comments:

Post a Comment