Monday, March 25, 2013

Goodbye Gluten wraps coming to Publix


It's been more than two years since I've had a good burrito and I've missed it. There really isn't any local restaurant that offers a gluten-free burrito, because they just don't have big enough gluten-free tortillas to make them.

I've tried to make my own burritos but like other gluten-free bread products, the tortillas crumpled in my hands and left me with a mess.

So I was very pleased to get some samples of new gluten-free wraps from a company called Goodbye Gluten. I haven't seen them in my local store, but the company says they're launching them in Publix stores in Florida.

The first thing I tried was a simple sandwich. I rolled some cold cuts into a wrap and it worked out great. The wrap held together and I enjoyed the sandwich.

Then I tried the real test, making a chicken burrito. I figured the hot chicken strips would be a better test than cold lunch meat.

So I put the chicken and other ingredients on top of the wrap and folded it up. I can't say it completely held up. There was some crumpling but then again, the regular flour-tortilla burritos I used to enjoy also crumpled on me when filled. I do think these wraps held up better than the other gluten-free tortillas I've tried.

Goodbye Gluten also touts the flavor of their wraps, but I've always felt the flavor of the ingredients inside of the wrap is what matters, not the wrap itself. So I can't really say one way or the other if these wraps had better flavor.

So the bottom line is, yes, I think Goodbye Gluten's wraps are worth a try.

Goodbye Gluten wraps come in plan and multigrain varieties (I got to try both). The suggested retail price for a bag of six wraps is $4.99.

No comments:

Post a Comment