Monday, August 25, 2014

Every time I think the public is learning...

Everytime I think we're making progress, I'm reminded how much work we have to do to educate the general public about the gluten-free diet.

Two things happened today. The first was when I was buying a loaf of Udi's bread at Costco (the best deal going on gluten-free bread, as far as I'm concerned -- a 30-ounce loaf for $6.79).

As I was picking up my loaf, a couple was looking at the Udi's shelf and decided they wanted to try it because it was a whole grain bread and it might be good. I told them there was no reason to buy a gluten-free bread unless they are restricted to a gluten-free diet. They appeared to be very confused but took my advice and put their loaf back on the shelf.

The second happened when Channel 4 news at 5:00 had a report about lupin in gluten-free foods.

If you missed this story last week, the FDA was warning people about a legume called lupin that is causing an allergic reaction for some consumers. The FDA said it is found in many gluten-free products as a substitute for wheat flour, but many people are not aware of it. If you have a peanut allergy, lupin could cause a reaction.

Anyway, Mary Baer teased the story by talking about a potential problem for people who have turned to the "latest trend in health-concious eating," a gluten-free diet.

I wanted to scream.

No comments:

Post a Comment