Thursday, August 21, 2014

Impressive gluten-free selection at Earth Fare

I visited the new Earth Fare store on Atlantic Boulevard near the intersection with Kernan Road and I have to say, I was very impressed with the gluten-free selection.

I found a number of products I've never seen before, including some gluten-free bread products. I bought English muffins by a company called Foods by George and "rye style" bread by a company called Three Bakers.

There were also breads by familiar gluten-free companies like Udi's and Canyon Bakehouse. In fact, Canyon Bakehouse products are on sale through Sept. 2, so there's an opportunity for good deals there.

I also bought gluten-free frozen onion rings by Ian's, which makes a number of gluten-free products. The only gluten-free onion rings I'd ever seen before are at Epik Burger (which happens to be nearby).

There were a lot of other products I wanted to try, including a wide range of frozen pizzas and some Oriental foods. They also have a good gluten-free beer selection (which was actually the first thing I saw when I walked in the store).

The only area of the store where I didn't find anything new was a snack shelf that had a big "gluten-free" label on it. There was nothing there that I couldn't find at Publix.

The prices were basically comparable with regular supermarket prices. I had been anticipating upscale prices there, so I was pleased with that.

The location may not be convenient for everyone, but the good news is that the company wants to open two to three more Earth Fares in the Jacksonville market, according to a story in the Financial News & Daily Record.

I know a lot of people are looking forward to Trader Joe's opening at the beach in a couple of months, but based on the extremely disappointing gluten-free selection I've found on visits to Trader Joe's in Chicago, Earth Fare is a much better store. Remember, I only look at these stores on a gluten-free basis.

I'm hoping Earth Fare opens a store nearer to my home.

When I get a chance to try the new products I bought today, I'll let you know what I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment