Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Gluten-free cafe in Dunedin

Wouldn't it be nice if you could find a place where every time you ask "is it gluten-free," you get a response like "of course?"

During my trip to Tampa Bay over the weekend, I visited the Serendipity Cafe, an all gluten-free cafe in downtown Dunedin (north of Clearwater).

I visited there for breakfast a couple of years ago and got gluten-free french toast, which is the only time I've eaten french toast in the past four years. I haven't been anywhere else where gluten-free french toast was even available.

This time, I went for lunch and ordered a buffalo chicken wrap, another item I used to eat frequently in my B.C. era (before celiac) but haven't had since. This was the first time I've seen it available.

When the server gave me a choice of sides, I reflexibly asked, "is it gluten-free?" What a stupid question in an all gluten-free cafe, but that's a habit that's hard to break.

Anyway, the chicken wrap was great. It held together, much to my surprise, because it was very greasy and I figured for sure the wrap would fall apart. And it was really good -- and spicy. The menu did say it would have hot sauce.

There's a lot of interesting things on the menu. Serendipity Cafe may be a little hard to find, in a small building on Main Street in Dunedin. But if you're in the area, it's worth the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment